Surprise Taxes

Nearly half (45%) of American's don't remember when they last updated their withholdings. Paying tax is last on the list for most American's, which gives them fuzzy feelings.

But, getting hit with a "surprise tax" bill when filing tax returns?

That makes American's frustrated, disappointed, concerned, and angry at the same time.

The IRS debuted a new version of a W-4 form around last year at the same time. But if you're like most American's you may not have noticed it. Only about 1 out of 4 American's have updated their withholdings, according to a survey by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants. Nearly 2 out of 5 American's admit they are unfamiliar with the new update of W-4.

To avoid this nasty surprise of tax AICPA's program is helping American's to check their tax withholdings and update the same in the new W-4. Correct filing of W-4 form decides whether you get a refund or nasty surprise on Tax day.

To circumvent such a nasty surprise, check your withholdings and update W-4 sooner than later. By making suitable changes, you can prepare for the 2020 tax bill and set yourself up for a less stressful 2021.

  • Update W-4 form using IRS withholding Estimator Tool

The IRS recommends regular check-ups of your withholdings whenever you experience any life event such as marriage, childbirth, or adoption, as such events can have a considerable impact on your tax situation. The nation's tax collectors also hope you give regular check-ups - Especially when the IRS keeps updating occasionally.

To see how your tax bill will look, you'll need to enter information such as your wages, your current withholding rate, and whether you contribute to a tax-deferred retirement plan. After you enter the required information, the tool will estimate your possible refund or whether you need to pay any added tax.

To adjust, you need to fill up the W-4 form and submit it to the employers' payroll department.

  • Avoid the shock of the large tax bill's

The amount you've withheld from your paycheck falls short of what you owe in 2020, the income you'll have to pay the difference to the IRS on Tax day. Depending on how low you are, you may also owe an underpayment penalty equal to 3.4%, the percentage which gets reduced, as sooner you pay it off before April 15.

Other sources of assets can create a withholding gap. Unemployment benefits taxed as income on the federal level, but having withheld is the next step when applied for tax benefits.

Finding early tax bills helps to come up with money if you don't have it but may also allow you to mitigate financial damages. If you have another paycheck next month or at the end of the year, adjust the withholds to chunk out.

  • You don't need a bigger refund

If you owe juicy refund beats learning that you owe to the IRS. If you are overpaying taxes then you have to, you are giving the government an interest-free loan.

Rather than overpaying taxes, sitting in IRS coffers collecting dust, the extra money can be in your pocket every month, or a bank account, or in some investment.

This allows money to be in your hands throughout the year that can be better spent on clearing bills, paying EMI's, or investing somewhere.

The IRS tool can help you get back the refund with the slider bar helps to adjust how much refund you'll get back.

People Love getting Refunds.

  • Withholdings are different for retirees and employers'

For employers, taxes are calculated by the payroll department using withholding tables maintained by the IRS and form W-4.

For retirees, the withholdings are pensions, retirement accounts, and social securities.

Retirement withholdings are not the same employers' withholding. Generally, there is a fixed amount of distribution or set amount of dollars.

Pensions are subjected to the same withholding tables as employers. The person having large pensions and withheld taxes may face the same problem as working employees.

Social Securities are not subjected to the same withholdings as employers' table. Social securities recipients complete the W-4V form to tell the administration the withholding of either 7%, 10%, 12%, or 22%.

37 views0 comments